I'm a big believer that how you look and feel is based largely on what you eat. After completing a 30-day clean eating challenge I could honestly say at the age of 43 I am more fit, stronger, healthier and happier than ever before. I owe that, in part, to clean eating.
Are you interested? Are you a little bit curious? How about joining the 31-Day Clean Eating Challenge || Summer 2011 beginning July 1?
So what exactly is clean eating? After a lot of reading it seems the general consensus is there is no definitive definition of clean eating but there are very basic rules that people interpret to fit their life.
- eat lots of plants
- eat lean protein, complex carbohydrates and heart healthy fats in each meal choice
- avoid ALL processed and/or refined foods (sugar, baked goods, candies, white flour, white rice, etc)
- avoid saturated and trans fats
- avoid sodas, high calorie juices and other drinks that give your body no nutritional value and lots of unnecessary (unwanted) calories
- avoid high calorie, non nutritious foods (i.e. junk food)
- drink at least 8 cups of water per day
- no alcohol
What worked for me?
- I started all or nothing with clean eating but if that doesn't work for you (or your personality) or if that seems too overwhelming, try making changes in your diet with a few of the rules above and gradually add more change.
- Plan a weekly menu (Read more on menu planning here Top 5 Benefits of Menu Planning) and grocery shopping list.You can see one of my weekly menus here Commitment to Health and Fitness.
- Our lives are all different. Do whatever it takes to make this work for you and your family.
- My menus are planned around 3 meals and 2 snacks as well as a recovery drink or protein smoothie.
- Don't expect the whole family to commit 100% with you. Take baby steps with them.
- Use free online resources for recipes.
- Drink a lot of water.
- Eat frequently and don't skip meals.
Those are the basics. Now, it’s up to you to decide how you will apply these basics to your life and to your eating plan.
Every Sunday I will share information, my weekly menu, recipes and thoughts on clean eating. I would love to follow your progress and answer your questions. Leave a comment and if you're using your blog as part of the challenge leave a link.
One last word. Approach this challenge with the attitude that it's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change. I'm not saying it's going to be easy but it will be worth it.
Wait. Before you leave check out my new Facebook Page Life as I see it [fitness, health and happiness]. Don't forget to click LIKE!