I recently received my first CSA (Consumer Supported Agriculture) pick-up of kale, summer squash, zucchini, basil, chard, red leaf lettuce and tomatoes. Now, what to do with it all. I knew I wanted one of the recipes to be pizza but couldn't find what I was looking for. So, I created my own :)
Summer Veggie Pizza
1 medium zucchini, sliced
4 large tomatoes, seeded
1 medium yellow bell pepper, diced
1 medium summer squash, diced
4 tbs. tomato paste
8 fresh basil leaves
3 tsp. fresh oregano, minced
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
1 whole wheat pizza crust (such as Boboli)
4 ozs. shredded mozzarella
3 tbs. fresh grated parmesan cheese
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tbs. extra virgin olive oil
1. Preheat oven 450 degrees.
2. In a zip loc bag add zucchini, summer squash, yellow bell pepper, olive olive oil and garlic. Toss to coat.
3. Place vegetables in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast for 10 minutes.
4. While vegetables roast, process tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, oregano, salt and pepper in a food processor until smooth.
5. Pre-cook pizza crust on middle oven rack at 450 degrees for approx. 5 minutes (or as directed).
6. Spread the tomato sauce on the crust, leaving a 1-inch border. Top with mozzarella, vegetables and parmesan.
7. Bake until cheese melts, about 8-10 minutes.
Try different vegetables and different combinations of cheese.
I served this earlier in the week for Chad and I. Success! The real test will be to serve it again when Alec and Alyssa are home. Either way this recipe will be on the weekly menu again.
Do you have a favorite veggie recipe?
Today's workout: 6 mile run, Abs/Core (P90X Plus) and Plank-A-Day (goal of 90 seconds)