This recipe turned out to be one of my Top 5 Recipe Favorites of 2011. The original recipe, found in Clean Eating magazine, is delicious but after trying it the first time I knew immediately what I wound modify the next time. The zucchini, yellow squash and eggplant are my favorites but it can easily be adpated to use your favorite types of squash or what you have on hand.
1 lb eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
1 1/2 lbs zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
1 1/2 lbs yellow sqwuash, cut into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 large yellow onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 1/2 c fat free small curd cottage cheese
2 tsp dried oregano
olive oil cooking spray
6 oz shredded part-skim mozzarella
3 grilled chicken breasts, shreded
- Preheat oven to 375 degress.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and spread eggplant, zucchini and squash out in a sinlge layer on sheets. Bake for 30 minutes, remove from over and set aside.
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat oil on medium for 1 minute. Add onion and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until transluscent. Add garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Remove from hear and stir in cottage cheese and oregano.
- Lightly coat an 11x7-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Line bottom of dish with zucchini and squash, using all rounds and overlapping them so dish is completely covered.
- Add shredded chicken spreading evenly over the squash and zucchini.
- Top wtih cottage cheese mixture.
- Arrange eggplant over cottage cheese in overlapping rows, then top with mozzarella.
- Bake at 375 for 30 minutes or until cheese is golden and bubbling.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!